Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sara's Taco Salad

Recently I felt the urge to make a taco salad and had all the usual ingredients in my kitchen except for a packet of taco seasoning.  So, I took to the Internet and found a recipe for homemade taco seasoning.  Since I had all the spices in my pantry I decided to give this one a try.  With a little bit of tweaking of the recipe and adding my own flavors, I created a homemade taco seasoning that was great.  It was slightly spicier than the standard store bought taco seasoning packet, but nothing a little bit of sour cream couldn't counter.  I couldn't resist sharing!



Sara's Taco Salad

1 lb. ground turkey
1 head iceberg lettuce (chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 can sliced olives
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
taco seasoning (see notes below)
taco shells or tortilla chips (optional)
fat free sour cream (optional)

In a large skillet set on medium-high, brown ground turkey.  Drain fat.  Add taco seasoning, 1/4- 1/2 c. water and simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, chop lettuce and tomato; set aside.  

To build taco salad, divide lettuce among 4 plates.  Top with 1/4 of rinsed black beans, 1/4 of taco meat, 1/4 chopped tomatoes, sliced olives and 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese. Garnish with fat free sour cream and broken taco shells. Serves 4.

*Homemade taco seasoning: (adapted from Allrecipes.com)

1 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. ancho chile powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment